The former Beiping Library wasis located at No. 7 Wenjin Street, Xicheng District。 The construction project of architecturesthe building began were initiated in 1929 and finished inwas completed in 1931.The entrance of the library yard is a grand and splendid three –bay gate, which is decorated with glaze. The main architecture group is comprised with a two-layer building with wings in addition. Every building has a semi-basement and is connected by corridors with plain roofs. From the overview, this group of buildings is constructed in the style of the palace of the Qing Dynasty with double-layer arched glazed roofs and white marble Xumizuo railings.
The predecessor of Beiping Library was the Capital Library created by the Ministry of Education of the Qing Dynasty. In July 1928 it was renamed as National Beiping Library. In August 1929, Beiping Library merged with Beiping Beihai library with the name unchanged. In the same year, the construction of the new buildings of the library was begun. The new National Beiping Library was open to the public in July 1931. After 1949, the name of the library was changed as National Peking Library at first and then as Peking Library in June 1951. In 1987, after the new buildings of the National Library of China located at Bashiqiao were set up, the library at No. 7 Wenjin Street was kept as the Branch Library of it, and has become the Ancient Books Library recently.